November 8, 2008

Fast & Easy


So last week my good friends Nate and Carly had a beautiful baby girl! :-) Knowing how making any meal is probably at the bottom of their priority list, I wanted to take them dinner. Of course it happens to be the week with Halloween and preparing for a big trip so I'm swamped but still want to make something delicious and that warms the stomach. So I decide on my Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches. I found the recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook when I was in college and it was always so quick and easy to make my college roommates and I would have them at least once, sometimes twice, a week. Of course over the years, the recipe has been altered a bit as we were always experimenting. So here is the one I ended up doing the most.

Ingredients:

1 green bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 onion
1 package of French rolls
Fat Free Italian dressing
1 1/2 lb - 2 lbs deli Roast Beef
Hand ful of sliced mushrooms (optional)
Provolone cheese
Pepper Jack cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up green, orange or any color bell peppers of your choice. Slice onion and combine in a pan on the stove top with a little olive oil and the peppers.



Cook until peppers are tender. Separate and arrange the french rolls on a cookie sheet and apply a spoonful of Italian dressing on the top and bottoms of the bread. Place in the oven for a couple of minutes to just barely toast the bread. Once the bell peppers and onion are tender, add the roast beef and mushrooms to the pan until the roast beef is warmed and brown and mushrooms tender. Remove pan from the heat and apply the mixture evenly to bottom parts of the bread. Add a half slice of provolone and half slice pepper jack cheeses to the top of each sandwich. Add the top part of the bread to the sandwich and put in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and enjoy! :)


No comments: